Accessibility View Close toolbar
Pets and Pesticides: A Toxic Relationship!

Pets and Pesticides: A Toxic Relationship!

The birds are chirping, green grass is growing, and flowers are blooming. All of these are sure signs that spring is here! Also arriving are the weeds and creepy crawlers which we aim to keep at bay with herbicides and insecticides. It is important to remember that these products can also be toxic to our pets. Keep them safe by being aware of how to use these chemicals safely and which ones to avoid entirely.


  • Always read the warning labels on lawn care products which may list specific hazards and precautionary statements concerning animals.
  • Fertilizers usually have a wide margin of safety, but to be safe, keep pets off of the lawn until the product has been absorbed. If it’s a spray-on product wait until after it has dried and if it is a pellet wait until after it has rained or been watered.
  • Avoid disulfoton (type of organophosphate) contained in some rose-protecting products
  • Avoid slug and snail bait with metaldehyde
  • When in doubt, keep your pets inside while working with garden or yard additives.


The following are signs that you may see if your pet has been exposed. Please call us for help immediately.


  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Severe lethargy/collapse
  • Diarrhea
  • Abnormal heart rates
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Tremors or muscle spasms
  • Seizures
  • Death

Location

Office Hours

Saturdays and Sundays Emergencies only: Call the clinic # 605-246-2854

Monday:

8:30 AM-5:00 PM

Tuesday:

8:30 AM-5:00 PM

Wednesday:

8:30 AM-5:00 PM

Thursday:

8:30 AM-5:00 PM

Friday:

8:30 AM-5:00 PM

Saturday:

Closed

Sunday:

Closed